In this blog, we will cover moving protected server from one DPM to another.
In addition, we will refer to DPM from you want to move as Old DPM.
In addition, we will refere to DPM you want to move as New DPM.
If your Old DPM is still running you need to cover next steps:
- On the Old DPM server you need to go into the DPM admin console and remove the protected server that you want to move from protection. You will need to go to the Protection tab and stop protection.
- After you stopped protection of member, navigate to Managment-> agents -> and Disable protection agent of protected server.
If your Old DPM server is unavailable and it does not exist, you can go directly to next steps.
- On your protected server open elevated CMD and change directory to: %ProgramFiles%\Microsoft Data Protection Manager\DPM\bin
- Next command is : SetDpmServer.exe -dpmServerName YourNewDPMserver
If you get error like :
SetDpmServer failed with errorcode =0x80070005
For me after some troubleshooting, check the firewall, and if does not solve the issue, uninstall agent from protection server.
Now you could install agent on protection server, or install manually.
On next few lines, we will cover how to install DPM agent manually.
- Configure Firewall :
netsh advfirewall firewall add rule name=”Allow DPM Remote Agent Push” dir=in action=allow service=any enable=yes profile=any remoteip=
- Map network drive to DPM server
net use Z: \\\c$
- From protected server navigate to:
cd /d X:\Program Files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\ProtectionAgents\RA\%latestVersion%\amd64
- Open an elevated Command Prompt window, and then run one of the following commands:
After successful installation, attach agent to DPM server using server name.
After they are attached, you might get notified to update protection agents.
If this is the case, you might need to restart the server.